Wednesday 16 November 2011

Laptop/pc Purchase



I recently purchased a laptop for my Psychology course and will explain some of the specifications  that I was looking for which I considered important in relation to being capable of  completing any tasks I had with ease whilst also getting value for money. A laptop/pc needs a certain set of factors to operate efficiently for a certain level of tasks and ill list below the factors I was looking for.

·         Processor

·         Memory

·         Hard drive

·         Video

·         Ports

·         Wi-Fi

·         DVD/CDRW

1)  The processor is an important factor for speed and multi tasking and on research found that Intel core i3 had good reports for these areas.

2) Memory also essential for speed, and although most programmes I use in my course would not be memory demanding I believe Windows 7 is and due to the fact I may have a few programmes running concurrently I chose 3 GB of ram which I find extremely adequate.

3) Hard drive size I chose 500 GB which I believe should suffice for my four years as I’m not in the habit of downloading films etc, which if is the case then a larger hard drive would be recommended.

4) Video is an important factor to look at if you intend in playing a lot of games which I am not so I felt that an onboard graphics card would surff ice and keep the cost down as high end video cards can be very expensive but necessary if game playing is your intention.

5) For ports I was looking for a laptop with a minimum of three usb ports for printer, scanner, and internet connection.

6) Wi-Fi ready is also a good extra to consider as it gives the opportunity of internet connectivity while travelling.

7) DVD/CDRW is a good option of transferring large amounts of data for storage or as a backup media and also gives the capability of removing large amounts of data if the hard drive is coming near being filled to its capacity.



These are the factors that I was taking into consideration when purchasing my laptop and hope they can be of some benefit to anyone also in the process of doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment